2018 is flying by and before we know it the holiday season will be upon us. For many, this means opening our homes to guests. When thinking back to last year, did you feel limited by your space and therefore could not entertain properly? Or perhaps suddenly your cabinets and flooring seemed out of style? If you start planning now, there is enough time to do some updates to improve the functionality and look of your home for guests this holiday season. Here is a breakdown of what you will want to consider a few months out before guests arrive.
Three Months Out
Start with one of the biggest and longest projects to complete: the kitchen. Because the kitchen is often the main focal point during the holidays, it is one of the most commonly remodeled rooms. Upgrading your kitchen will not only increase the aesthetic appeal of your home, but also the functionality.
Since kitchen remodels can cause some disruption to your routine, we recommend starting the process as far out from the holidays as possible. If you are planning on doing light remodel work, then your project could be done in just a few short weeks. However, if you are looking for some more complex changes, just as changing the layout of the kitchen, adding electrical or plumbing, or installing custom cabinetry, then you should plan on at least six weeks at a minimum.
- Install new cabinets. Freshen up old cabinets with a coat of paint or upgrade to a new style with more storage.
- Replace old floors. New hardwood or tile flooring can help make cleanup much easier and make a huge difference in changing and updating the look of the room.
- Install or change the kitchen island. If you have enough space, the kitchen island creates more room for cooking, talking, and gathering in the kitchen. There are various sizes, colors, and functionalities that can make really evolve the look and use of the space.
- Upgrade appliances. With new stainless-steel appliances, your kitchen can achieve a sleek and streamlined aesthetic.
- Add a splash of color. Sometimes all an old and tired kitchen needs is a fresh paint job. A pop of color in the paint or in a new tile backsplash can help add dimension to a room and freshen it up.
Two Months Out
Whether you are planning on entertaining for a party or for guests staying with you, chances are they will all use the bathroom. Some updates to the guest bath can go a long way in making them feel welcome.
If your guest bathroom or powder room are a tight squeeze, you can create the illusion of more space by using a pedestal sink. If you have more space, a nice vanity with a sink will be a better option because it increases the amount of storage space below and countertop space above. A fresh coat of paint and an updated mirror can go a long way here as well. By changing the sink area, paint, and mirror, your bathroom can look like a whole new room and much more inviting without too much heavy lifting.
One Month Out
Get rid of the carpet in your living room or throughout and upgrade to hardwood floors. Hardwood floors are a great upgrade because they are very easy to clean and have good resale value. You can place a statement rug to add style and help bring the different design elements of your living room together.
Two Weeks Out
If you are running out of time for a remodel and don’t have time to tackle the big projects like kitchen and bath updates, there are still small things you can do to improve the aesthetic and look of your house.
- Exterior lighting: Light up the path for your guests by choosing a multi-dimensional look for a functional and decorative appeal.
- Front door: By changing out the front door, you can improve your curb appeal and the energy efficiency of your house.
- Accent lighting: Highlight certain pieces of art or holiday decor with accent lighting.
- Add color: Freshening up old or chipped paint can be easily fixed with a new coat and color.
- Holiday decor: Get into the holiday spirit by decorating your home with holiday decor.
Now is the time to start to get your house ready in time for the holidays. By starting early, you will have plenty of time to plan exactly what you want, get accustomed to your new space, add some final personal touches. If you would like to spruce up your home before the holidays, give us a call at 972.951.1932 or use this contact form for a free consultation. We would love to discuss ideas for updating your home for guests this holiday season and work together to make it happen.